Thursday, May 23, 2019

Squirrel!

Country Cousin quilt block: QuiltBee
We’ve had lots of traffic to the back yard bird feeders of late, including a very hungry little chipmunk (a.k.a. ‘J. Edgar Hoover’) and a couple of black squirrels. Maybe that’s the reason that I seem to have gone completely ‘squirrel’ this week. Despite having a list as long as my arm of quilts and toppers that I want to make, I headed off on a totally unforeseen tangent.











It’s called Country Cousin and is from a book that I inherited from mom called Scrap Quilts by Judy Martin (1985). Goes to show you how timeless this craft is.













Country Cousin quilt: QuiltBee
This is the layout in the book. Hmmmm. It's okay, but nothing that I would normally stop at.
















Country Cousin quilt: QuiltBee
But with a flick of the wrist you can make it look like this. I saw this version on a blog recently (I have to do a better job of tracking where I get my inspiration) where all of the large light and dark triangles butted up against each other, creating a diagonal weave, and the mix of triangles was even scrappier. I needed to try it. 










HSTs: QuiltBee
I tried going back to my wish list several times to see if I could be talked out of it, but apparently not. Ah well, lots of blue and white HSTs in my near future, I guess....M

1 comment:

Chantal said...

I love Judy Martin. You picked a beautiful pattern and lovely fabric too. Looking forward to see this project grow. ;^)