Tuesday, June 18, 2019

More Quilt Canada Goodies

This was a common scene at Quilt Canada last week - people taking their time to enjoy the beauty before them, like this Sue Garman design, and admire the talent and time that went into each creation. Everyone just wanted to soak it all in.













Like the woman admiring this Caswell Quilt. I don't know who she was, but she leaned over to me and said, "It makes me want to up my game with my appliqué".













It was beautifully appliquéd down to those pretty little butterflies, and hand quilted - yay!















I don't know if it was a detail in the original pattern or not, but I love the way the quilter alternated two different creams for the block backgrounds, a fine stripe and a delicate reproduction print; so subtle, but very effective.













This one also caught my eye. It was so nicely done, and with only three colours of fabric. I have a penchant for scrappy and lots of different fabrics, but this one made a beautiful statement.













And just look at that machine quilting.
















I can't even begin to imagine doing that.
















This one was lovely too, and if I'm not mistaken it is another Sue Garman design.















The colours were fantastic and the work impeccable. Loved this fabric - so light and airy and fun.














Anything with stars is certain to grab my attention,
















and there were lots of them to admire. Lots and lots of flying geese too!

And this was the Best of Show - For Such a Time as This. I'm not a fan of black quilts but I couldn't help but admire the skill it took to make this. It looked more like bead work than a quilt.












Those tiny cream ovals are about the size of a finger nail and I can't even imagine what it took to make all those tiny dots!

I've got a few more to show you - a few art quilts that caught my eye and my favourite from the show - but will wait til next time. I'm certain that this was photo overload....M


3 comments:

marina said...

stunning!
Love the Caswell quilt, it’s a favourite of mine.
The original did use two did use two different fabrics for the backings. Very effective
Look forward to seeing more!

Kyle said...

A beautiful Show and tell.

Anonymous said...

That was the last Sue Gorman designed before she passed away. Still available if you are a member of The Quilt Show (Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims) it is paper pieced. Jill in Calgary/Phoenix