Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Maggie Makes a Quilt

Most Wednesday mornings find me around the quilt frame at the church but last week our small circle did something just a little different. 

Maggie, our brave and fearless ACW President, frequently drops by to check our progress and cheer us on. When encouraged to pull up a chair she has always maintained that she could never do what we do. Fair enough. But lots happens before a flimsy gets put up on the frame so we convinced her to join us in a day of sewing to help create a few more quilt tops to include with this year’s Quilts for Survivors (QFS shipment). It seemed like the perfect opportunity to invite other quilters, past and present, to join in the fun, including our rectors. And, just like that, Maggie Makes a Quilt Day was born.

I was hoping for some great progress on our sew day so I drafted a pattern for a simple Bricks quilt in advance and circulated it so several people came with quilts precut and ready to go.

These are the fabrics for the first one that I cut and which Maggie set to work on.

And I also cut this combo for a second one - very similar, but a little lighter.

These gorgeous pinks and golds were cut by another quilter - so soft and delicate.

I also cut 6.5" squares for two Crossroads quilts using burgundies mostly from Jean's stash and inserted the 1" strips before our workshop. 

Intent on using all of the fabric up, I cut out two tops but not before I did several deep dives into my stash to squeak out enough fabrics that would work. I don't tend to buy burgundy so I really had to dig deep.

This print has been around for ages and I still love it; it makes a terrific binding too.

About a dozen of us arrived at the hall bright and early, sewing machines and irons in hand (Maggie, for some reason, brought a healthy supply of band aids; not quite sure what she thought that we were going to put her through!). The room was humming in no time.
We were also very fortunate to have a couple of folks volunteer to press seams for us, which moved things along beautifully.

It turned out to be a very fun and productive day; next time I'll show you our progress....M



No comments: