Thursday, June 03, 2021

Lots and Lots of Little Trees

Jane has inspired four of us to begin work on our own Little Trees - Linda, Anne, Sandy and I - and I've been anxious to see how everyone's tiny forests look and compare. All of the gals are having tons of fun with this one and were happy to oblige with a little show and tell.




For Sandy, this is the perfect little project to have on hand when there’s not a lot of ambition to be juggling a bunch of fabric. To date, she has 87 trees all pressed and trimmed and a whole whack of them in various stages of construction, which means she will be pulling out her iron again soon! 



I had suggested that she iron the seam attaching the trunk to the tree flat to avoid the bulk and that's working well. After rummaging in her scrapbooking stuff she found her bone folder to help hold those seams in place and avoid burning her fingers; worked like a charm.

 


Linda has been busy too, with 110 trees made up so far.  





She is starting to assemble a piece that is 12 blocks wide by 9 blocks long. Once she sees how that looks she will decide about borders. According to Linda, 'Looks dang cute thus far!'. Totally agree.




Anne's little forest is 50 strong and feels more autumnal than Christmas to me with the oranges and greens. Love all the brights.





It's always amazing how the same pattern takes on a completely different feel depending on the fabric choices.





I go in fits and starts with mine and have had a huge bundle in need of pressing, so I finally got to that, trimmed them all and did a head count. I'm up to 153 so far. Maybe I should start laying them out too and see where it takes me.




The joy of pressing is that you get to revisit the fabric combinations in each block. Love this one, but then I find another and love it too! I've been very conservative with the backgrounds for all of my trees, leaning to the lighter prints, but I might want to follow Linda's lead and venture into using a few stronger prints.

I loved seeing where everyone is with this project and look forward to seeing each of the quilts develop. Hope you did too!....M


7 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

That is quite the forest you all have going on there. I can't wait to see how they all turn out when they are stitched with borders. I like to do my pressing in batches. It's a nice way to decompress after a hectic day. -Andrea

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thanks for sharing these forest photos! All so cute and colourful.

audrey said...

These are all so sweet! I can just imagine how fun to be seeing these little blocks in person.:)

Kyle said...

Each tiny forest is a delight in itself. Lots of color and variations. 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Sandy said...

So much fun to see what everyone’s doing, Marie! I love the colours in Anne’s … never even thought of going non-traditional Christmas colours …and, now I’m waffling on the neutral backgrounds, too. I guess it’ll be a surprise to me to see where things go! Your post inspired me to get my trees out today, so nothing got done, except a day spent in the breeze stitching Christmas trees!

Linda said...

Hi Marie, such a lovely journey through the forest in a number of locations....everyone's project is coming along. So enjoyed your post and pics. Managed to find three fabrics that will border my forest: a neutral with teeny tiny red/green stars will go next to the trees, then a dark red with Christmas wreaths and Christmas stockings print for a wider border and finally a beautiful red/white stripe on the diagonal for the binding. All for my little Lucy-lou-who, who is barely two-who. Christmas lap quilt/throw for my youngest granddaughter, Lucy. So many trees, you know as they say in the Valley: "can't see the bush for trees", lol. Thanks for this post.

marina said...

what beautiful little forests!