Wednesday, June 30, 2021

A Passion for Whimsy

Jane has a wonderful imagination and is never shy about sharing her love of whimsy. She loves to play and that is more than apparent in her funky little Easter Baskets quilt. She stopped by last week with an armload of quilts for a quick show and tell after picking them up from Roberta. What a treat!




Started and finished during the pandemic, Easter Baskets was inspired by Anna Jantina from the Netherlands, the same quilter who also inspired several of us to make Little Trees. Could it be any more fun? Like the majority of her quilts, it is hand pieced; I think she wins the speed-piecing award!



Anna used bias strips for her quilt handles but Jane wasn't up for that so she switched it up to use a variety of colours of rick-rack. It worked beautifully, making what was already a charming quilt into one that was doubly so and giving it a certain folk art feel. The blocks finished up at 4" x 6".




And the large floral print for the border is perfect too - its got a softness to it that is hard to describe but it works so well with all of the soft, creamy colours and smaller florals that run throughout. I didn't get a photo of it, but it is backed with a beautiful butter yellow.


Absolutely adorable! She wasn't sure about adding in the darker prints but is really happy that she did and I agree - they add more depth to it.

A happy, scrappy masterpiece. My favourite basket is in the top row of this shot - the large floral Martha Negley print with the gingham trim and dark handle.








One last pic, for good measure.






Okay, maybe just one more....M


8 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely basket quilt--those handles are just so cute--beautiful work on this-- I really like it!! hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

So wonderful and lovely for summer as well as springtime.

Kyle said...

I do love the whimsey style for the baskets and Jane is a lover of Ric Rac just like me!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a beautiful quilt - love all the fabric choices. It has such warmth and style.

Kristy said...

Oh this is so adorable! So glad you shared some extra pictures! :-) K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

These are the sweetest baskets and I love the rickrack! What a great idea. I love the variety of fabrics and I agree, the dark is a good addition. What a beautiful quilt!

Sandy said...

Another stunner, Jane! The colours are fabulous, and I love the texture the rick rack brings to it. I can’t wait to see what else was in that armful of quilts you picked up!!!

gladiquilts said...

I see I’m not the only one inspired by Anna Jantina! I love her trees and have enjoyed seeing what you and your friends are doing with those. And now these wonderful baskets! One of these is near the top of my “to do” list!😊