Friday, September 06, 2024

Second Hand Clothes is Finished

My Second Hand Clothes flimsy is finished - another flimsy to add to the Quilts for Survivors shipment! Yay!! 

I have to say that I'm a little taken aback at how quickly it came together, but in a very good way.

The hand-pieced blocks were a relaxing project to pick up with my morning coffee, and 20 came together really quickly. I just love the variety in it. 
This sweet little cherry print has been hanging around forever and now it's finally found a good home.

The brown border fabric is what started it all. I'd pulled it from the shelves while looking for something else and was determined to find a use for it. After finding the inspiration quilt everything seemed to fall into place. It's a VIP print, so that gives you a sense of just how old it is; something tells me that it might have come from mom's stash.

When I opened it up to cut the borders I discovered a flaw running the length of the piece about four inches in along one edge. Thankfully I have just over three metres so I was able to trim without stressing too much.

I don't know that I would have come up with the red setting triangles and brown border myself (I had imagined using blue, green and brown with it), but I do love the look.

There's lots of brown left so, while everything is still out I'm going to cut a second (and possibly third) set of border strips along with the other pieces that I need and it will be a good hand sewing project for the winter. Hopefully the next one comes together as quickly as this one did....M


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I love this, what a simple yet striking quilt!