Thursday, September 19, 2024

Never Underestimate a Quilt

As I was sewing down the binding for Kaleidoscope I got to thinking about how much I like this quilt and how much I really didn't care for many of the fabrics that I started with. They fell into the 'use it up' category and I just felt that I was trying a little too hard to make things work.

But as the fabric pull got under way the colours and patterns needed to bring the so-so fabrics to life evolved. The addition of the green and white polka dot and the light aqua really took it up a notch.

And as each block started to emerge and the colours were distributed across the flimsy, it really started to shine.

The end result is just lovely.

That beautiful 'grunge-ish' backing scattered with daisies that Roberta provided was the finishing touch, bringing everything together oh so nicely. I liked it so much that it's what I used for my binding.

Her generous offer to quilt this as her contribution to the cause meant that we would be shipping a finished quilt instead of a flimsy and the playful panto ties in so nicely with the floral backing. 

So, all that is needed when it lands in the Quilts for Survivors studio is for a label to be attached, the quilt to be smudged and parceled up with a note and sent off to its forever home. I hope it brings joy to the recipient; I know it has brought much joy to me....M

No comments: