Sunday, November 12, 2023

Oh My Stars

When I stumbled across a Pat Sloan runner pattern called Oh My Stars I knew that I'd be making one for the Holly Bazaar. The pattern is free and works up very quickly, so if you are keen to knock of a Christmas runner before St. Nick arrives this would be a great way to do it.

It's a variation on a quilt that she designed by the same name and it integrates one of my go-to star blocks with lots of scrappy goodness. Just love making these stars!

I needed three squares from the same fabric for the star centres and (pardon the pun) the star aligned. I found three, and only three in my box of remnants.

Most of the squares that I used came from that remnant box as well, so it didn't take much additional cutting.

Once everything was laid out assembly was a piece of cake.


I've seen this block sewn three or four in a row and it makes for a very nice runner, but I really love the way that these stars jut out into the border - so much more interesting. The borders called for straight runs of fabric in areas that weren't part of a star, but that was going to look a little odd given the text print that I was using so I opted to construct the borders from squares instead, which allowed me to mix up the orientation of each, and I like the look.

As it turns out, I couldn't bring myself to give this one away, so it's not yet quilted. But some day it will be, and it will be for me....M 

3 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Our bazaar is next Saturday. I have one more project to finish before then. This is a pretty runner! I can see why you want to keep it.

Anne said...

Yes, the stars that jut out into the border really give the runner depth. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Especially love that you made the border into squares. Yes, it’s a keeper!