Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Party of One

There have been many, many things changed or cancelled this year because of the coronavirus but I have to say that the one that I felt quite deeply of late was not being able to gather for our annual Christmas Cookie Bakeoff. In the general scheme of things it doesn't really seem overly important, but it really left me feeling a little in the dumps. 

What to do? Why, dust off my apron and spend the weekend with Aaron Neville, of course! Years ago he came out with a wonderful Christmas album and it kept me company through a weekend of baking. (I will admit to having a few earworms after the fact, but they are good earworms 😀.)

Out came the supplies...






and a new attachment for my mixer. This pouring chute (on the right side of the bowl) just clips to the side of the bowl and helps direct ingredients, either wet or dry, into its centre. I just used it for adding my dry ingredients but I have to say I loved it - no frequent stops to lift the beater so that I could add stuff in, just one continuous flow.



When it comes to Christmas baking I don't stray far from my traditional list, in part so that I can make some headway. New recipes, if they are tried, end up added in towards the end of the process. There are about 7 tins to be prepped this year so I needed to make my time count and still ensure that I was having fun.

The White Chocolate Gingerbread are always a fave. They are a humble little cookie, not fancy at all, but they are yummy.

Then there were Fanciful Ribbons...






and Toblerone Shortbread (these are one of my faves though the Official Cookie Tester was seen circling the island looking for castoffs as well as he enjoys nothing more than a good shortbread with hot chocolate).




There was a special request for Linzer Hearts, so onto the list they went. It's been years since I have mixed up a batch of these as Jane usually brings the dough for these cookies to the Bakeoff. They are time-consuming but worth every minute.




I enjoyed another walk down memory lane when I pulled out mom's cookie press to make her Shortbreads. These are such a sentimental favourite and fully adopted by my favourite nephew. We grew up with these cookies and I only remember having them at Christmas - that single silver dragée was just magical to me, and still is. The press can be a bit tough on the wrist when pushing the dough through so I made certain to beat the butter until it was very soft and held back about a tablespoon of flour; worked like a charm. 

This plate is as close to quilty as I got. It is another sentimental favourite, a souvenir from a trip to British Columbia years ago to visit my good friend Sheila. I picked it up on an excursion to the Queen Charlotte Islands, also known as Haida Gwaii, and used it to roll the balls of Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread dough in sugar before baking.

So, in two days I managed to burn through 11 pounds of flour and countless pounds of butter, but I have lots in my freezer to package up now. There's still a couple of batches to make, but it feels good to have this much done!....M



6 comments:

audrey said...

I love your holiday cookie posts! If only I had a tenth of your baking ambition.:) So sorry you had to forego the group baking day. I know that's always a highlight of your holiday.:)

The Cozy Quilter said...

That's a lot of cookies! Glad to see you have people to share them with !

marie said...

Could you share your recipe for the toberlone shortbread cookies??

Kyle said...

I can see why the offical cookie taster was circling. You still got to enjoy your cookie baking, a thought minus your friends is a big disappointment. All you flour, sugar and butter will make many people very happy.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I can't resist saying this is one yummy post. I've not heard of the ribbon cookies so that was interesting to me. Toblerone shortbread cookies are the best for the chocolate lovers for sure. Meanwhile, my only constant cookie every Christmas these late years is cinnamon biscotti for gifts.

Unknown said...

Oh Marie, you do us all proud! It was indeed lonelier baking cookies this year, but let's hope we can all be together next year to carry on this wonderful tradition! xo