Sunday, March 01, 2020

Ooo Baby, Baby

I'd be lying if I said that I've been spending all of my time stitching lately. It has, in fact, been the opposite. It's been a busy couple of weeks and the stitching seems to be the first thing to go, but late yesterday it was back to business on my quilts for the twins.













Getting the Lone Star blocks assembled was the first order of business, and then sewing them into a flimsy. The diagonal seams in the blocks are pressed to the darker print but when sewing the rows together I pressed the seams open to minimize bulk, particularly where several points met; it made all the difference.








There's a couple of prints that really make these quilts for me - these fun little mice running to and fro...












and a pretty aqua Tula Pink print with bees flying in among what looks like wind-blown petals. Both should help keep the attention of the little ones snuggled in under them.











With both together it was time to think about borders. You know my aversion to square bed quilts, so that had to be addressed, and the border on the inspiration quilt didn't seem quite enough, so I went a little improv.

A random collection of light prints that were used in the blocks worked, with one or two extras like this lovely rabbit print thrown in for interest. I only have a bit of it left and would love to get more but have no idea what it is called or who produced it. The top border was cut 6.5" wide and the sides 3".




Close to the finish line I took my eye off the ball a bit and ended up sewing two borders - a narrow one and a wide one - to the same edge. Sheesh. Ripper time!












It's a little hard to see the final effect, but here's the first one'; I love it. I darkened the photo a bit to try and get the borders to show more but it's taking away from the dreaminess of the fabric combinations.










The second one is very similar.














They measure 42" x 48" but I suspect will be a little narrower after they are quilted, depending on how wide the backing fabric will be. That's my next challenge.

I'd like large, graphic prints to offset the structure of the stars - one in green and one in aqua - and to help differentiate between them because they are so similar. Even if the twins are identical I don't want the quilts to be. Hopefully something shows up soon and then I can get them to Roberta for quilting. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy Smokey Robinson and the Miracles singing 'ooo Baby Baby' - it's my latest ear worm. Wonder why?....M




5 comments:

Sharon Stroud said...

Beautiful quilts! So striking. Good luck with the backs!

Kyle said...

The quilts are sweet and especially when the piecing comes together perfectly.

Andrea Charles said...

Wow Marie!! That is quite a meticulous quilting. I agree to your point that twins must have different quilts. The choice of pieces is quite stunning as I loved the shades. All the shades compliment each other well. Great job Marie!!

Unknown said...

As reported by Stanford Medical, It's in fact the SINGLE reason women in this country live 10 years more and weigh an average of 42 lbs less than us.

(And realistically, it has totally NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret-exercise and EVERYTHING about "HOW" they are eating.)

P.S, What I said is "HOW", not "what"...

Click this link to find out if this easy quiz can help you release your true weight loss possibility

VasanthMusicCoimbatore said...

Wow, Marie!! The choice of pieces is quite beautiful and I loved all the shades. Each piece compliments the other. Thank you for sharing your work with us. Stay Happy!