Sunday, March 29, 2020

Talking to Myself

#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
For much of this winter I have spent the better part of my Tuesdays, and often Thursdays, helping the gals at the church with the quilts that are up on the frame. That all changed a few weeks ago when social distancing became the norm.

The isolation hasn't been a problem for me as I have been very busy working via my computer and then sewing Huddle as time allows. Lately I've taken a break from the machine work to go back to my hand quilting because (surprise, surprise!) Candied Hexagons is still in the hoop.






#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
It has been a rewarding break, tho I have to say that I am missing all of the chatter that you get when quilters gather round the frame (the things you learn!). And the conversation isn't nearly as interesting when it is just me and the hoop - quilting bees are the best for getting caught up on all the things you want to know, and even a little bit more 😉.

The Official Cookie Tester swings by every now and then to interject some levity.





I feel that I have picked up speed with my stitching and seem to be moving around the quilt at a decent pace, one hexie after another.












And it is lovely to be able to visit with these fabrics again.










#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
My ever helpful green painter's tape continues to be a mainstay. It wouldn't be totally necessary for the quarter inch lines on the edge diamonds, but since I am a 'stabber' rather than a 'running stitcher' I find that it helps keep me on the straight and narrow and going at a decent pace.








#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
Today is rainy, dark and miserable outdoors but there's an apple pie in the oven and pork tenderloin marinating for dinner so that means a free afternoon to return to hoop. Yay! Think this will be a COVID-19 finish?....M


8 comments:

Jill said...

Such a pretty quilt. Your stitches and tension are perfect in your round hoop. You may have a quilt finish during all these mess. Enjoy your afternoon and meal - it sounds delicious!

Chantal said...

Ditto at my place, Marie. Supper's in the slow cooker and I'm stitching away the next border for Field of Poppies, but I'm doing it by machine. It's raining and dark here too. Stay safe and sew on. ;^)

Deanna W said...

When I am hand quilting I am not so much talking to myself but lots of thoughts are running through my brain. Whenever I say something that I have thought of to hubby...he looks at me strange, I just say "too much time to think while I quilt"! Lovely quilt, it will be done before you know it!

Kyle said...

I think there's distinct possibility that you'll be done as we all head back to normal once again. You've got good momentum plus apple pie waiting for you.

Kim said...

Just look at all those pretty candied hexagons.Such a lovely selection of fabrics. How calming to revisit this pretty at this time. I am thinking it will be finished before you know it. It must be lovely to meet with other quilters and share stories and thoughts while you work on a quilt. Sad that these activities have been put on hold for a while. I hope you enjoyed that tenderloin pork and apple pie. I must say it all sounds delicious.

bettyb said...

Loving this colour palette.

audrey said...

It's definitely a good time to have a quilt in the hoop. Hope you make tons of progress and it's a relaxing as could be. I wish that I had the motivation to bake a pie right now. Been wanting an apricot one and actually have the ingredients, just no mojo.:)

Quilter Kathy said...

I enjoyed seeing the close ups of your beautiful hand quilting! Thanks for sharing with us!