Sunday, March 08, 2020

Taking Minnie for a Test Drive

#QuiltBee: Minnie hexagon quiltI've been working a bit on Minnie lately to get my hand stitching fix and decided that I needed to throw some of the diamonds up on a small design wall just to see what things might look like. This is only a fraction of the quilt, but you get the idea.











The real impetus was to see how my half diamond bits that I've been piecing to fill in along the top, bottom and sides looked - my setting triangles, basically.










#QuiltBee: Minnie hexagon quiltI thought that I had made great strides with the setting triangles but I realized after I laid a few out that most of them still need another row of hexies added to the outside edge. Guess Minnie won't be going anywhere any time soon!










#QuiltBee: Minnie hexagon quilt
It was good to see this grouping together because it also gives me some sense of how light/dark it will be. It maybe just have been the bundle of diamonds that I pulled but going forward I think I'll lean to adding more light fabrics for the final borders so that it doesn't get too lugubrious.









Lots more little hexies on the horizon - back to needle and thread!....M




9 comments:

Kim Sharman said...

Minnie is looking lively. Such a lot of stitching is going into this hexie pretty. I like the idea of adding more light hexies. Enjoy your stitching.

Kyle said...

Minnie is making marvelous strides. Seeing pieces together helps to know the right direction.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful quilt!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

This is going to be gorgeous!

Jane said...

Not one bit lugubrious! I think the colours are gorgeous and have a very vintage vibe to them. It will be a work of art when finished and I can't wait to see it hanging on your wall!

Sandy said...

Love it, Marie! I bet the back feels so soft ... I know, weird observation. The vintage colours are gorgeous ... wondering how you’ll quilt this beauty ...

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Minnie looks fabulous, Marie! It will be a masterpiece when it's finished. I am just in awe of your patience and perseverance, knowing how long all of that hand stitching is taking you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh so pretty!!! I love the look of this quilt!

Unknown said...

How do you figure fabric amount if you want a specific row of hexies all the same fabric?