Sunday, August 11, 2019

My Baggie Runneth Over

For the better part of this past week I have held the kitchen table captive with my sewing - I brought the machine upstairs to make a few bindings, and there it stayed. I worked on more of the tiny nine patches for Omigosh, enjoying the view to the back yard and working in natural light. Eventually the baggie that I store the blocks in reached its breaking point so it was time to put a few of the larger nine patches together and clear that backlog.







Making these little blocks is not the speediest of exercises - it would be faster if I was using full widths of fabric and limiting my fabric choices - but scrappy is the way that I've opted to go, and I love them. Once I have the strip sets cut into one-inch pieces I always pin them at the seams...









It helps avoid missteps like this. On a block with larger pieces I might be tempted to just let this go but when the blocks are so small (half an inch finished) I feel that its doubly important to try and be accurate, so there was a little ripping being done as well.









Eventually the second strip gets added, and before you know it, the baggie is full.













#QuiltBee: Omigosh quilt blocks
I was anxious to clear the table and get my kitchen back to normal so I set myself the challenge of making up all of the larger nine patch blocks in the baggie before I returned my machine to the sewing room and put the pedal to the metal. Voilá! Sixteen more blocks now added to the finished pile. It helps to set goals, even if they are small ones, doesn't it?....M

p.s. Still no obvious signs that my basket of one-inch strips has gone down any...

2 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am not one to make 100's of quilts but I still like to set a few goals and I really enjoy quilting more when I don't aim too high! I love your little omigosh blocks and you are so right about trying to be more accuarate with smaller blocks, so important.

Kyle said...

Sounds like a productive week. I guess I always think if you're going to do it, do it right. Glad you're making perfect nine patches.