Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A Little Rusty

hexie diamonds: QuiltBee
It has been go, go, go lately. First it was prep and baking for the Holly Bazaar in early November, then it was prep and planning the Cookie Bakeoff, and now it's full on Christmas shopping and prep (after a week in the stand the tree is finally decorated and ready to be enjoyed).

So, quilting has taken a back seat to all of the seasonal fun for a while and I'm starting to miss it. I'm starting to feel a bit more in control so I have picked up Minnie again to enjoy some hand sewing. But I'm obviously a little rusty - this is not how the join should look; the pink and light green should bump up against each other.





hexie diamonds: QuiltBee
Over the summer there was a full court press to get the outer border sewn onto on my sets of four hexies and I made great progress. There are more to do but first I want to make up all of the diamonds that I have assembled into four-diamond diamonds, if that makes any sense.

Once I have them all together I'll be able to assess what colours I need for the outer borders, so that's where I'm picking up. It was so relaxing to be able to just sit a bit and stitch.






quilting project box: QuiltBee
My project box has lots of hexies that I can choose from and more strips tucked into the corner of hexies yet to be cut. It keeps everything nicely contained until the pieces start getting larger.

I haven't laid them all yet out but I am hoping that I almost have enough to start assembling the top early in the new year. Minnie is always on hand when I need to pick something up, and when I need a pick-me-up!....M


4 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Clever aunt ...what a lovely snowy cake. And Believe is just beautiful. It reminded me I have one of my own tucked away to be finished. What a collection of hexies. You keep busy, Marie.

Pat said...

Such a lovely stack of hexies!!

Kyle said...

It's great to have such a pretty pick me up to pick up!

Jane said...

Please leave Minnie to me in your will. Love it so much, but I know I will never make one. Please show us some pics of your Christmas tree.