Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Quilts In The Garden

Sandy, Jane and Betty were together again recently and Sandy brought a wonderful stack of quilts to show the gals. Thankfully, they took lots of pics in the garden so that I could share her work with you.

To say that she is prolific would be an understatement. Here is the first of three quilts that she finished this year and another two that are in the works.








Sandy also provided some info on the quilts, so here they are, in her words:
"I decided it was time to get my machine out, and do the whole process. This my first attempt (at machine quilting), and I learned a lot ... first, and foremost ... fill a whole bunch of bobbins! Thankfully, this isn't a big quilt, as there's quite a learning process with rolling, pinning, flattening ... swearing!

The walking foot worked very well ... once I finally decided to just guide the fabric, and let it do it's thing.  Being anal, it was freeing to give myself permission to not worry about straight lines, or equal spacing! (Next up is the free motion foot ... 😳).

And this one is made with the leftovers from the first jelly roll, and leftovers from other projects. I'm stunned when I see the tiny piecing you do. On this one, I learned the benefits of spray adhesive!

Betty educated me on soaking quilts, so I look forward to washing these, and hopefully seeing a lot of puckering.








I finished this one with mixed feelings ... excited to see it done, but sad, as the fabric's so soft and buttery to stitch. I found this Moda fat quarter bundle in a beautiful quilt shop in Jordan Station ... and, I loved that it reminds me of my Grandma's house.  

I cut and laid out the pattern before we went to Cozumel and then spent our lazy days under the palm trees stitching it together. It's amazing how many quilters gather to chat when they see a pile of squares! (QuiltBee note to self: book a trip to Cozumel...)




These next two are under way. This one is inspired by a quilt I saw on your blog ... I loved the freshness of it! Many of the patterned fabrics I purchased in a shop on Cozumel, so it seemed only fitting to put it together under the palm trees. I've sandwiched it with a thicker batting, and I think I might just stitch in the ditch ... hopefully to make the triangles nice and puffy.  









My hubby - the Minion fanatic! - found this perfect fabric, and asked me to make him a throw for his "man cave" Lazyboy.  














Just what every 72 year old needs!

I'm excited to get a new project started. It's just soooo hard to decide what it should be ... too many ideas!"

What an amazing trunk show Sandy. You'd never guess that you've been quilting for such a short time - they are all beautiful, and I have it on very good authority, perfectly stitched. We're looking forward to what you dive into next. Thanks so much for sharing!....M





4 comments:

Mia said...

Beautiful quilts, Marie! The one with the minions is my favourite! Kisses, my friend.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

"...there's quite a learning process with rolling, pinning, flattening ... swearing!" I resemble that statement. (smiling) I've just now started machine quilting. I'm still learning the ropes but am getting more confident. Love the trunk show! Andrea

Kyle said...

What a wonderful garden display. Each quilt has a story and a journey.

Sandy said...

Thank you, Marie ... it's so much fun to see my quilts on your wonderful blog! And, thanks ladies, for your lovely comments.
Quilting is my gift to me ... it always puts me in my "Happy Place"! ��
P.S. There's always room under the palm tree, Marie! ��