Saturday, January 20, 2024

Look Out For That Rabbit Hole!

You didn't really think that I could toss all of the beautiful trimmings from the sew and flip angles in the Holiday Forest blocks, did you?

When I sew each diagonal seam, I automatically sew a second parallel seam a very scant half inch from the first seam before pressing and trimming, ending up with this little pile of lovelies. There are eight in each block, so they do add up.

Not wanting to lose too much momentum with making the tree blocks, they sit to one side and are slowly being pressed and trimmed to HSTs that measure 1 7/8". A fresh blade really helps get a crisp finish.

They would make sweet little basket blocks or scrappy little Bear Paws. I haven't really had time to play with them yet but I'm certain that there's a bright future for them. 

Lots more trimming to come. 

Waste not, want not is an adage I live by, though these little diversions down rabbit holes do help explain the speed at which some of my projects advance. Or don't....M

5 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have baggies full of bonus HST's. Sometimes, I make something out of them right away, often finishing the bonus project before the main one. Sometimes, the HST languish... You have lots of pretty HST's to play with. so many possibilities!

Kristy said...

Hee! Hee! I think you are a girl after my own heart! I can't throw them away either but they multiply so fast! I have so many boxes of them I just need to sew them into something. I am so inspired by your blog and especially all of your different projects. I am hand quilting too many things right now plus trying to keep up on cross stitching and my hands are telling me I need to moderate my pace! :-) Can't wait to see what those squirrels tell you to make. :-)

K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

Chantal said...

You and I, sister! I keep all the little HSTs the flip and sew angles give me. Then, my friends started to bring me theirs. It is so much fun to play with little bits like that. Enjoy! ;^)

Ann said...

I have two shoeboxes of these things and am slowly digging my way out. After this, I may start tossing the bits… or not. It’s hard to break a lifelong habit.

Sandy said...

I have a collection, too! And, a new box filling from my Barn Star Stampler quilt. There’s such a variety, I’m not quite sure what to do with them! LOL!