Wednesday, June 07, 2023

House Arrest

My pink Log Cabin blocks are finished and so is the quilt, in large part because we are almost trapped in our house. Smoke from the Quebec forest fires have made the skies very cloudy for the past several days, resulting in poor air quality so we've basically been holed up. If I can't get out and garden, why not sew?

I only needed to make two more pink blocks so they came together quickly. The colour placement is in reverse to the green blocks, still scrappy but with green at the centre and pink in on corner. Those slices of lime are fun, aren't they?

To assemble it I chained my columns of blocks together which was a big help in keeping everything where it should be.

But that didn't mean that I spun all the blocks correctly. The block on the far left in the middle row should have been turned 90 degrees; I was very happy to have done a quick check before sewing all the rows together.

This is what it looked like after the last seam was sewn - a wonderful tumble of green, pink and neutrals.

As always, with scrappy, the more variety, the better.

This polka dot is from a binding remnant. As luck would have it, this one was cut on the straight of grain so I just trimmed it down to the sizes that I needed and used it up. Love that. I also love that sweet little black pindot included in the neutrals.

So it's finished! What started out as a squirrel has become another finish to add to the Quilts for Survivors pile, and that's a good thing....M



7 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Marie, I love pink and green together, love your little log cabin quilt. Wondering what size the quilts for survivors should be? is there an exact measurement or does close count? Linda

Anonymous said...

I love it! Reminds me of a watermelon.

Kyle said...

Very pretty. We had the smoke earlier from the fires in Banff

AnnetteJ said...

Love your log cabins, especially with that coral/pink and lighter than forest greens. It lightens up the quilt. Well done!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What an absolutely gorgeous log cabin top. I love your colors and fabrics. To me it's hard to beat a scrappy log cabin. I hope your air clears soon! It's daunting, the reach and effect of these wildfires.

Ann said...

It’s hard to beat scrappy and this coral and green combination is lovely. Your quiet neutrals set them off perfectly. I was in SF during the wildfires there so I have an idea how hard it is to breathe. I hope you all stay safe and the fires are out soon.

Anonymous said...

This is a beauty Marie! So fresh and summery. Jane