Saturday, January 14, 2023

Stretching It Out As Long As I Can

My Christmas tree came down last weekend and I've been joking that I have now entered my official period of mourning (I'd be happy to keep it up until Easter!). Cookies will only soothe that ache so much so I headed out to the lake for a visit with Jane to enjoy hers before she takes it down. I stayed overnight so that meant being able to sleep under one of her star quilts and enjoy the glow of the tree one last time.

Over the years, she has decorated her tree in a variety of themes and this year went with a natural/wilderness vibe. Fluffy owls, pretty birds, and twinkling pine cones set the scene and this year she added dried orange slices and made these adorable decos from walnuts - two little mushrooms made from buttons nestled in a little glen. 

Beneath the tree she arranged greenery and several large toadstools, along with this pretty little winter bunny. She thinks of everything!

I also got to check out her latest Christmas quilt, Christmas Courthouse Steps. It was finished up just before the holidays began and she has been enjoying it draped over the back of her sofa.

Red, white and green are combined with the occasional gold/brown strip (Sandy calls these strips 'gingerbread') for a very festive throw.

And the the backing! SO great! It's a Norman Rockwell print (very Holly Hobby as well) with a variety of terrific holiday vignettes...

against a backdrop of sheet music and bundles of bells and holly. Quilted snowflakes swirl across it, making it so much fun.

It's bound with a swirling red paisley that has just a hint of gold glitter in it.

I suspect that Jane's tree has now been taken down too, but it did the trick, helping extend that little bit of magic that a Christmas tree brings each year. Thanks Jane!...M




2 comments:

Sandy said...

What a perfect way to say goodbye to the Season … so cozy at the cottage! I’m always amazed at Janes’s creativity in her decorating … every theme has so much detail! Love love love her newest Christmas quilt … and, that backing fabric … perfect!

Jan Hebert said...

First time reading your blog, I love all of your quilts. This post about staying at your friend Jane's cottage is wonderful. I just love her decorating style and the Christmas quilt - oh my, it's really cute! Will keep reading, have to figure out who is who! Jan in MA