Friday, March 25, 2022

Quilt Art

So many quilts catch our eye but there are some that are just meant to be hung and enjoyed for the works of art that they are. One such work is Jane's recently finished Untraditional Log Cabin.

Last summer she pulled out her collection of predominantly Kaffe fabrics and a fabulous collection of greys that she had picked up at Quilt Canada when it was in Ottawa a few years ago and started cutting strips. 

She set to work hand stitching gorgeous blocks, using orange for the centre 'hearth' block and staying within a single colour range for each.

Once she had built up a good inventory of blocks it was time to test a few layouts.


It was hard to look away.

We played around with this 'peaks' idea but eventually landed on an asymmetrical design, diagonal strips emanating from near the bottom left of the quilt - it just showed off the colours to their max.

She looked at a few more options before deciding on her fourth choice - diagonal rows of blocks offset slightly from one corner. Now she knew how many of each colour she needed still to make.

Roberta quilted it with Abundant Feathers. Oh my! 









It is such a lovely contrast to the grid of the blocks and softens it up so beautifully.

She chose to bind it with an orange print that nicely echoes the orange squares at the centre of each block.

Early on Jane knew that she wanted this one to hang in her bedroom, but for a little while it found a home across the back of her sofa, which is the dark grey that you see, a terrific combination.

Recently we got together and figured out how to make a hanging sleeve and finally got it hung (I do believe that there may have been one or two squeals of delight as it was revealed 😉).

I haven't checked lately but I suspect that it's a little tough getting much shut-eye with this beauty staring back at her from the end of her bed....M


5 comments:

Chantal said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Bravo! ;^)

Kyle said...

Jane's Untraditional Log Cabin is gorgeous. The colors pop and the asymmetrical design is perfect.

Sandy said...

What a beauty, Jane! Those bold colours with the greys are perfect. How lovely to wake up to such cheeriness every morning!!!

bettyb said...

Plenty of sweet dreams for sure!

Jane said...

Thanks for featuring my quilt Marie! The fat quarter bundle was from Basic Grey. Before they made fabric, I knew them as scrapbook paper designers. Was thrilled to find this bundle as I am very low on neutrals. I didn't plan ahead, so when I got bored with making blocks, I figured out how many I had of each colourway. That restricted me in the layout options. So I had to draw and colour it out on paper to figure out the best layout using what I had. I am so happy with the result!