Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Backing Up

I've whined before about how making backings is just not my favourite part of quilting, but there comes a time that you just have to buckle down and get them made. So, when a recent sudden spurt of initiative struck I didn't feel inclined to argue with it, at least for the first little bit.




God's Green Earth was the first one on the block. I love this quilt and have had the backing fabrics for ages so to the front of the line it went. If there were a few more meters of this blue I would have loved for the entire backing to be made solely of it, however, I only had about half of what I needed so at least one other print had to join it; a mauve won out. 

BTW, I love the way ThousandsOfBolts ships their fabric labelled - no need to unfurl, measure and refold the entire thing to figure out if the piece will do.

Roberta always chuckles at my backing grumpiness saying, 'It's one big seam!' But I realized as I moved on to Snippets why this was seldom the case for me. My quilts tend to be BIG, so they are quite often a little shy of being able to just use two widths of fabric. I also try and avoid having a seam directly down the middle. It all means that there's some figuring and math involved. So much for one big seam.

I was very close with having enough width on this one but it was just too tight and I didn't feel good about making Roberta make it work when she put it up on the frame to quilt. Sooooo, down to the sewing room I went to see if there were any remnant blocks. Eureka! I found a few and a few others that could be sewn into HSTs and added to the mix.

So they became a strip...

and added just under three inches to the width. 

I'm happy with it, but what started out as 'two quick seams' quickly moved to a couple of hours of work. I shouldn't complain - they are now both ready to go. Maybe I need to start working to a smaller size so that I can avoid some of this grief.

Now to figure out how to quilt them....M


4 comments:

Kyle said...

Well, you did sew more seams than one, but your backing will have lots more character. I also wanted to let you know I made the upside down pear gingerbread cake and it is absolutely amazing. I'll be making it again!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

These fabrics are beautiful. I agree that it's best to avoid the long seam down the middle. You will be happy about all this piecing in the end!

audrey said...

Laughing at your post as I tend to do the same. Rarely end up with just one long seam, though your added piecing units look quite wonderful unlike so many of my cobbled together backings.:)

Sandy said...

That’s a pretty fancy addition to the backing! Your colour combinations always look amazing! I’m curious though. I’ve never given any thought to putting the seam down the middle, and wonder why it’s your preference not to do it.