Friday, December 13, 2019

The Pity Party's Over

#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quilt
You'll be happy to know that my pity party is well and truly over. All of the moaning and dripping about how I wasn't enjoying working on Country Cousin has been put to bed - it is now a flimsy.











#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quilt
I took Kyle's advice and sat down with ripper in hand and some seasonal tunes and worked my way through the missteps that I had created. In no time all of the rows came together.











#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quilt
I knew that I wanted to put borders on it because I like my charity quilts to be a decent size so rather than throw it onto a pile to work on later I pulled out a few border fabrics and sat down with my calculator.










#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quiltIn hindsight, the pink could have been a little narrower or the first blue border could have been a little wider, but its not the end of the world. The blue floral border is wider across the top and the bottom to help make it more rectangular than square. I was trying to get the most from that floral but still wanted it all gone so I cut my binding before I cut the two side panels. The finished size will be 69" x 88".






#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quilt
When I messed up the order of the blocks I think I also turned a few in the wrong direction, totally changing my plan not to have the same lights or blues bumping up against each other. Obviously, that didn't always work out the way that I had planned but I'm resigned to the fact that its just how scrappy works. I suspect that I might be the only one who will care.







#QuiltBee: Country Cousin quiltIt feels great to know that I've used up so many pieces that had been languishing in my stash - that was a huge motivator in pulling the fabrics that I did for this project in the first place. There's still a backing to be made but I'm prepared to do that another day.

It feels equally great to have my head space cleared for a little last minute seasonal sewing. I was bound and determined that it was not going to happen before this one was together so now its clear sailing on the Christmas front and I'm looking forward to that.....M


8 comments:

Cathy said...

How sweet it is! I usually sew scrappy quilt blocks together randomly without a design wall and quite often I'm surprised by how two fabrics in literally hundreds of different fabrics end up next to each other. So, yes, that's how scrappy works!

I find it interesting that you sew blocks together into columns. I usually sew blocks into rows. It is fun to see everyone's process.

Kyle said...

It's a wonderful finish and will be loved by someone someday. Glad you got the unstitching done in a more positive mind set. Hahaha. I should take my own advice on occasion. Should have, could have would have.... Your quilt is wonderful.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Your quilt is so pretty. I'm sure someone will love and treasure it. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

bettyb said...

Love the blues!! This will make someone very happy for years to come!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful quilt! I find that I often have that time when making a quilt when I just have to slog through to get to the good part again. Glad you made it past yours. Someone is going to love it!

audrey said...

Using the seam ripper is the pits. I don't blame you for wanting to get that job behind you.:) Your quilt top turned out to be very sweet and how wonderful to use up some of those languishing fabrics! I really like the sparky sashing color a lot. Perfect choice!

Chantal said...

I totally understand about a clear head. I hate it when mine is nagging about the laundry to do while I'm sewing. Good for you to get this one done and dealt with. It's so beautiful regardless of the fabric touching the same fabric. I love the splash of red every now and again the pieced block and the pink in the border brings it all together nicely. Awesome job! ;^)

Sandy said...

Love everything about this quilt! Can’t wait to see it quilted!