Sunday, October 06, 2019

A Return to the Hoop

#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
Candied Hexagons has been in my hoop for - wait for it - going on three years now (yikes!). Work in the hoop tends to be done in the cooler months so that I'm not boiling under it in the heat, but I don't think that I picked the needle up even once this past winter. This week seemed like a good time to change that.









#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
It was such a treat. There really is something wonderful about the rhythmic feel of running needle and thread through layers of fabric and batting. Getting to revisit all of these lovely fabrics was a bonus.

I thought at one point that maybe this one would never be finished, but over the last several days I've quilted three hexie blocks and am well on my way to finishing off a fourth, so there is hope that it will see the top of a bed some day.




#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
I didn't lay it out on the floor but it looks like I have at least half of it finished and with the pace that I kept this week it feels very doable. Things will be busy now with Holly Bazaar prep but I'm determined to keep at it.










#QuiltBee: Candied Hexagons quilt
Speaking of which, yesterday we started our annual apple pie making at the church (we made 110 of them), the proceeds of which go to the bazaar. In chatting with another quilter about how long I have let this one languish in the hoop I was advised not to fret - she had one in the hoop in her living room for 20 years. I have to say, I felt much better after that!....M



6 comments:

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilting!

Kyle said...

Well. Better late than never. Keep that needle moving. I always love hearing about your apple pie marathon. I think it would be fun.

Deb A said...

Beautiful stitches on your quilt. I feel better since I think mine has been on the frame maybe 2.5 years? Apple pies sound yummy!

Yvonne said...

Your quilting stitches are lovely and even. If I even tackled hand quilting it would be on the frame a lot longer than 3 years! Your project sounds daunting to me - but very worth it. It is looking so good!

CathieJ said...

The first quilt that I ever made was a queen-sized quilt that I decided to hand-quilt. I finished it 20 years later, when we were remodeling our home and I had to clear out the room the hoop was in. I really like that blue fussy cut hexie. The fabric is fabulous. Good luck with continuing to work on this. I will enjoy watching your progress.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I never tire of seeing beautiful hand quilted stitches. I am so glad we had our cool front and I could start to hand quilt last night. I too only quilt in fall and winter