Saturday, September 28, 2019

Barn Scraps

#QuiltBee: Courthouse Steps quilted fall placemat
There were lots of 1.5" strip leftovers after making the Log Cabin blocks for my barn block so I decided to put them to use right away and make a set of place mats. I had made a Christmas set a year or two ago and we love them so much that we use them year round, so this might be a good excuse to switch things up a bit. Then again, they may just go into the pile for the Holly Bazaar just so that there is more than table runners on offer.








The addition of the purple was a bit of a debate with me, myself and I, but I'm glad that I used it - it adds a nice little punch. There was more cutting to get the variety I needed - I didn't want to repeat any fabric, so that meant more strips.










#QuiltBee: Courthouse Steps quilted fall potholders
Soooo, there are now four pot holders in the same palette to help use up more strips; I think they will also go into the Holly Bazaar pile. If you look closely you will see that the place mats are made as a Courthouse Steps block and the pot holders are traditional Log Cabin blocks....M

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Isn't funny how we try to use something up, but always end up cutting more and sometimes having more left than when we started. Lovely colors.

Calamity Janie said...

Marie, not sure if you'll even see this, but I came across your blog while searching for placemat patterns. What is the finished size of your placemats? They look to be not too big or small, and not too square. I spent a happy half an hour reading your blog posts and now am a subscriber! I think your work is lovely! - Jane in CA