Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Majoring in the Minors

An ironing board sits to the right of my sewing table so that I can easily press pieces as I sew. I call it an ironing board but much of it seems to double as another table, collecting projects that are in play or surplus pieces to be dealt with. On the far end of the board is a basket runner that I keep meaning to finish up but it keeps getting buried with HSTs or whatever else is going on the design wall beside it. One of these days...










Anyway, I've been working on the tiny nine-patches for Omigosh and every time I press them I'm reminded of unfinished business by the piles of little pieces sitting just inches from the iron.

One of those piles were the cutoffs from the heart potholders that I made for the girls weekend in February. Looking for a break from the nine-patches, I trimmed them to 2" and made two blocks two out of them rather than have them keep floating about the room distracting me. 





It's a fun combo of the plain and pieced triangles all together.















Shoo Fly quilt block: QuiltBee
Beside that pile were a couple of sets of cream and brown blocks that I had cut for Churn Dash blocks. I'd looked high and low for them a while back but only found them in another pile this week when I tidied up a bit. They soon became five little 3.5" Shoo Fly blocks.











I have no idea where they will be used but for now they are in my pile of Kitchen Sink blocks - much better to have them assembled into blocks than kicking around and having me keep moving them around. Besides, they are stinkin' cute at the size that they turned out. There is something to be said for cleaning up a few little bits...M

5 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Ha! My ironing board looks a lot like yours, right now it has a pile of fabrics pulled for a spring quilt, and just a bit of space left for pressing my string-pieced blocks into submission.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have to set mine up in the kitchen every day when I use it so it has to be put away every day

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I have spaces like that and it is amazing what treasures hide underneath the piles of fabric. You did well in putting the pieces together. Your kitchen sink quilt is going to be so beautiful!

Kyle said...

You've done a great job with your lingering and hidden bits and pieces. It feels good to get those little things cleared up. Your ironing board is back in business.

Pat said...

Like the name Kitchen Sink quilt! And I agree with you - small blocks are so charming and when everything is together - you will have a quilt that just begs to explored closely! What fun!!