Friday, August 24, 2018

Not Really Wonky After All

wonky log cabin quilt blocks: QuiltBee
I put these Log Cabin blocks together several years ago as a way of using up the Sea Glass scraps, not really concerned about whether or not the yellow blocks would be centered, and actually hoping that they wouldn't be. I was aiming for wonky, a bit of a boho feel.










wonky log cabin quilt blocks: QuiltBee
Turns out I don't do wonky all that well as three of the four centre blocks were almost dead centre, with one outlier (see upper left).

For a while I thought that I might be able to get away with it but the longer I looked at it (as I snacked on butterscotch pie...) the more that fourth block just looked like a mistake. Nothing to do but fix it. So, I ripped that block out, narrowed the outside grey strip and added a wide blue strip. Now they all look like they might have something in common.





Seemingly on a roll, I prepped it for quilting. I like to use up batting trimmings for my toppers and joined two pieces with a zigzag stitch.

The first half went beautifully, just doing randomly spaced lines of quilting, but when I moved to the second half I was several rows into it before I realized that I had stitched a lovely pleat into the backing. ARRRGH! More ripping.







wonky log cabin quilt blocks: QuiltBeePatience ruled the day and it is now finally quilted and bound, and actually quite pretty.













wonky log cabin quilt blocks: QuiltBee
I like the way that the binding print moves in and out of the two shades of blue - sort of helps with that wonky thing...














wonky log cabin quilt blocks: QuiltBee
The backing is from the same print as the binding. It's an Art Gallery fabric and was soooo lovely to work with.














wonky log cabin quilted table topper: QuiltBee
So, four years later these blocks are now a very slightly wonky table topper (that didn't take very long, did it???); I think this one will be for the Holly Bazaar....M

2 comments:

Kyle said...

It is funny when we try to be a bit more improv all those sewing skills just can't. Wonky or not your topper is cute and done!

Ann said...

Every time I see this color combination I like it more. Your binding is the perfect choice. So soft and simple. Congratulations.