Friday, October 13, 2017

Branching Out

Here's my latest hexie table topper - they are proving to be a little addictive!















It's a pretty palette and I wish that I had more of that floral fabric but the last scrap that have isn't large enough to fussy cut. Oh well, I think I have other fabrics that I can play with 😏.












The binding is going to be the same colour as the outer border and I totally squeaked it out of the piece of fabric that I had - there was just a tiny sliver left. I also cut it 1.75" wide on the grain instead of 2" on the bias to make it work, so I'll need to be careful when I sew it onto the topper.










This is the ruler that I used for the centre hexie; there are five different sizes. The idea is that you cut a strip the height that you want and then slide the ruler along, cutting the sides as you go. For this project I just cut all the way around once I had decided on my placement.

Someone left me a question as to whether or not it was worth investing in the ruler but were a no-reply blogger so I thought I'd answer here. I'm not into a lot of specialty rulers but I seem to be into hexies in a big way these days so when I saw this one was on sale, I bit the bullet. I usually draft my own pattern but even if they are out a tiny bit it can be frustrating so this should help. And, as luck would have it, shortly after it arrived I came across the idea of these table toppers, so I'm happy to have a good excuse the use it....M

5 comments:

Raewyn said...

Another gorgeous topper :-) I too am wary about getting sucked into buying too many rulers, but some are very versatile and do have a place...!

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm not typically a hexie lover, but these little table toppers are so sweet, I'm wondering if there is a tutorial on line that you utilized, along with your hexie ruler?

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Lovely hexie table topper. I have always been partial to the purple/lavender and green combination. It's a beautiful color palette.

Kyle said...

Using the right tool can certainly make life easier. Great addition.

Anne said...

I love the colour combination and I bet these go together quite quickly so it would be great for those donation projects.