Friday, August 16, 2024

Straight Line Quilting Like a Pro

A free motion quilter I am not but every now and then there are small projects (pot holders, placemats or the occasional table runner) that I'll machine quilt myself. For those occasions, it's nothing but straight lines, and if I want to get really creative, I'll do a crosshatch 😏. 

My mug rugs were piled high and ready to take on our getaway but they needed to be quilted before I could bind them, so that pushed me to switching up my thread and seeing what mischief I could get up to.

The first few were simply rows of quilting evenly spaced lines across a rug, and they looked pretty good.

Then I practiced cornering by following the V created in the herringbone rug mugs.
These little HSTs seemed to call out for a bit more than parallel straight lines.

And then it was time for a little crosshatch.

Feeling pretty good about myself, I ventured into an elongated crosshatch/diamonds, which I really like. All in all, a fun exercise....M

3 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

There are lots of patterns to quilt with your walking foot. Great job on your mug rugs! Gail at the cozy quilter

Chantal said...

Beautiful! When I quilt with a walking foot, I have to remember not to look at the print on the fabric if I want straight like. The print or the seams will sometimes make me go a little to the left, a little to the right, lol. You did a great job here. ;^)

Barwitzki said...

Wonderfully quilted... that's exactly how I do it too.
But my sewing machine doesn't do more than that, I don't have a sewing table/sewing surface for large pieces.
That's why I've now given away my top to be quilted. There are long waiting times, so it takes a while before I can present it.
However, I love quilting my own smaller items.
I'm happy to see yours. Well done, very nice. I like.
Kind regards from Viola