Tuesday, May 28, 2024

When You Just Start Cutting...

This is the Quilts for Survivors WIP that generated all of the blue HSTs in one of the blocks in my last post. It's been on my wall for a few weeks and was going swimmingly. Until I looked at the pattern again. Ugh.

Just to back it up a bit, I've been trying to find a pattern that I could use for these two prints, blue and white versions of the same print. Several times I thought I'd found it only to back away from each idea. 

Then I remembered this photo that I'd found on Pinterest (no pattern that I could find). I'd saved it to remind me to try making a runner similar to this for the Holly Bazaar. I had a large piece of a medium blue that I could use for the corners so before I changed my mind again I found coordinating blues, yellows and and a bit of green and started to cut.

The block is very straightforward - just a square with two sew and flip corners placed on point.

In no particular order they started to go up on the wall and the more that I made the more I liked it.










As it grew I started thinking about setting triangles and what to do there because I was running low on the blue. Then I looked at the pattern again.

There are no setting triangles to speak of. The edge blocks should only have a blue triangle on one corner leaving a relatively small setting triangle to give you a straight edge. Similarly, the top and bottom edges appear to be blocks cut in half horizontally (haven't done a test of that yet). 

Soooo, Jack and I have started spending a little time together, ripping things out to make it work. So far, so good. It's the blue that I will need for a border that could be an issue.

For the time being I'll focus on getting four straight sides. If the quilting gods are on my side there might just be enough blue for a border!....M

1 comment:

bettyb said...

If you have any left over of these florals, I would love to see if they would work with a small stack of Parisian prints I have. Love, your favourite klepto quilter. ;)