Saturday, May 25, 2024

Big Blocks

On Friday, our church quilters took another Quilts for Survivors quilt off the frames. It's ready to be bound and I will share it with you soon. We're also making great strides in our fundraising efforts to help cover the cost of boxes to ship finished quilts to individual survivors and it looks like we will reach our goal tomorrow, so I've been busy putting together a small bundle of 16" blocks to display alongside the quilt top that we will be showing.

I started with Intertwined. It looks more complicated than it is - it's just four of the same 8" block rotated in different directions and comes together quite quickly. I made two like this and a third with a tulip floral and turquoise corners that you can sort of see peeking out in the image above. I had thought that the turquoise would end up being the square that runs through the centre of the block but I liked the look of the floral square.

Then I spied a pile of HSTs cut from another QFS quilt top that is in progress so I trimmed them up and did a basic 25-block layout bordered with green. There are enough HSTs left for at least two more blocks but only one made it to the finish line for tomorrow. I'll share a little bit more about this one in a future post.

Wanting to have a little variety, I moved on. I believe that this one is called Potato Chips. It's one of those blocks where just about anything goes and proved to be a great way to use up some leftover 2.5" strips from other projects. There are 32  2.5" x 4.5" rectangles in the block so I cut a few additional 'chips' leaving me with only one or two duplicates.

And I just couldn't help myself - I had to make a star or two. 


Make that four. I love these Sawtooth Stars. There are lots of possibilities with this one. You could make them all the same, make positive and negative versions using only two fabrics, make them all different - you get the idea. I landed on two coordinated stars and love the look. 

It's interesting. I have been trying to use up that soft green because it didn't seem to play well with other fabrics, but I am loving it with that gold/red floral. Now I'm wondering if I need a few for me!

And finally, just to clean up some of the mess that will still surrounding my machine, I whipped up one last Potato Chips block. 

It was a full agenda but a great way to spend a rather cool and dreary day....M




3 comments:

Chantal said...

A wonderful collection of blocks for QFS. I should finish my blocks next month and then ship a box too. Looking forward to seeing more of those HSTs. Enjoy! ;^)

Jocelyn said...

Which pattern is Intertwined? I don't find it online. Thanks.

Sandy said...

A beautiful variety, Marie! Intertwined fabrics are gorgeous, but it looks pretty complicated. I’m catching up on all of your projects, and I’m hoping to get motivated! I haven’t picked up a needle and thread in weeks, and I need my stitching mojo back!!! :D