Friday, October 06, 2023

Sandy's Special Touches

Back in the spring when I first put out the call for Quilts for Survivors quilts/tops, Sandy didn't waste any time letting me know that she'd have a quilt top for me, so when we were together in August I was anxious to see what she'd created. Well, she did better than she had promised. Not a flimsy, but a complete quilt. And not one quilt, but two!

For the first one, she used remnants from her Under the Sea that was finished in 2018 - the king-sized quilt that reflects their love of diving. The one where her husband Ed sourced several fat quarters dotted with interesting sea creatures ... seahorses, crabs, whales, starfish, octopus, shells and turtles.

It's almost an 'I Spy' quilt because you find yourself scanning it to see what other interesting little critters you can find.

That aqua and blue combo, with just a little white thrown in, is timeless and just as beautiful now as when she made the first quilt. Such yummy fabrics.

And that backing is to die for! I've seen it in other colours but never imagined it for a back. LUV.

Like so many of us, she felt compelled to help out. In her words: "I found working on the quilts to be a really reflective time for me. Reading so many accounts on QFS and from books I’ve gotten from the library … it’s been an eye opener, for sure. As school kids of the 60s & 70s, we never heard about residential schools. And, when we eventually did, they were presented as the government providing private school for Indian kids. How bad can that be, eh? I was shocked to learn that the last school closed in the mid-90s."  

Those sentiments are what moved her to make the beautiful and heartfelt cards to be included with quilts when they are shipped to survivors that I shared with you last time. Such talent, and such a moving gesture; I know that they will be cherished by their recipients....M



No comments: