Saturday, July 01, 2023

Happy Canada Day!

We're celebrating Canada today, and while I don't have any red and white quilting to share with you, I thought I would re-share a post I did a few years ago of a Maple Leaf quilt block. I see it every time I sit down at my machine perched on the small design wall just in behind my chair, and I enjoy it each and every time.

Vibrant batiks turned out to be a great choice for this block because the gradations in colour really evoke the way so many maples change colours in the fall. I put together a short tutorial together, if you are interested. It requires making a bit of a pattern for the longest point but it's very straight forward and really doesn't take that much time at all. I appliquéd my stem by hand but you could also attach it by machine.

One of the fabrics that I used is one that I've been using for the large Ohio Stars that I shared with you the last time. Of the three that I have left to make, two use this print; I made this one today. If I'm going to make more leaves from it I'd better hang on to what's left because there isn't that much. A few of them would make a nice autumn table runner. Then again, maybe my block is destined to be a party of one and greet me every time I enter my sewing room. Who knows?

If you are celebrating today, have fun. A nasty storm rolled through this afternoon and there is the potential for more tonight so our fireworks have been cancelled, which is a little disappointing. But we are still very grateful to live where we do. Happy Canada Day!....M



2 comments:

Deborah said...

Our town did fireworks last night which was a good choice as today has been stormy and there was a tornado close to us this afternoon too. I hope you enjoyed Canada Day.

Anonymous said...

The maple leaf block certainly represents our fall colours. A perfect block for Canada Day! Gail at the Cozy Quilter