Sunday, July 10, 2022

A Milestone For Minnie

I almost cannot believe that I am typing these words, but Minnie is now a flimsy! After heaven knows how many years, the last little hexies have been stitched into place and it's time to sit back, enjoy it and start planning how to quilt it. This one will be going into my hoop, for sure.

The bulk of it has been finished up for a while now with the exception of the four corners so I picked it up while watching the latest installment of the January 6 Inquiry. The extra setting triangles that I had stitched came in very handy.

I just found a colour combo that worked with the hexies around it, stitched the piece in place and then ripped out the extra bits. Worked like a charm.

A few hexies that were near and dear to my heart were left on the cutting room floor, but it is what it is. The edges will be trimmed straight but I will wait until it's quilted to do that.

The back is almost as interesting as the front - it's a frothy collection of hexies that reminds me of a flamenco dancer's dress.






This has been such a fantastic hand stitching project - despite working on it for so long I never felt rushed with it or pressured to finish it. I picked it up when it suited, took it along on many, many road trips and genuinely enjoyed it every step of the way. 

Though I'll miss not having it to turn to when I'm looking for something to do with my hands fear not, there are couple of contenders waiting in the wings! Now to think about a backing....M


12 comments:

Rebecca in AK said...

Minnie Is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on finishing the top!

Kim said...

Handstitching little hexies is truly bliss to me. Your Minnie is gorgeous dancing with all those hexies. Such a treasure. I'm glad you won't be bored with a few more pretties waiting in the wings.

Lindianna said...

Marie, must be a feeling of accomplishment to have this finished, so beautiful, can't wait to see what it looks like quilted. Hooray for YOU! Lindianna xo

Anonymous said...

Wow! Minnie looks fabulous!
Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Jenny said...

Must be great to get to this stage, now onto layering and then sit back and enjoy the hand quilting.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Congratulations! It is just beautiful. I hope it's a total joy to hand quilt!

bettyb said...

Another family heirloom! SO reflective of your creativity, skill and patience. Bravo!

Kyle said...

What a amazing finish. Your patience and dedication resulted in a truly beautiful quilt

Sandy said...

Congratulations, Marie! Minnie is gorgeous … and, I can’t wait to see what you choose for quilting! There’s something soothing & addictive about hexies, and your description of the back is perfect. Running your hands over those soft textures is a little pre-quilting gift!

Linda Jenkins said...

Congratulations on a stupendous achievement!

Jane Corbett said...

Marie, you are a quilt artist! Did you ever calculate how many hexies are in this quilt top? Inquiring minds need to know, LOL! Also how many years ago did you start this quilt?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You describe so much better than I could, how I felt about working on my Tumbling Blocks, which still need a few edging bits. Congratulations on such a beautiful flimsy! I also have the hexie papers to work out a project. Love to see what you are up to!