Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Vintage Tree Farm

So here's the finished Vintage Tree Farm throw, just in time to be enjoyed over the holidays. I didn't quite get all of it into the frame, but you get the idea.

I made the trees from a scrappy collection of six or seven greens and had enough of the green with the red berries in it for the border. It's backed with a wonderful red and green plaid flannel, guaranteed for coziness.

And my favourite snowflake quilting pattern runs across the landscape, making for a very wintery feel.

It's not overly fussy, but there are just enough details, like this wreath, to keep your attention. I opted not to include the headlights on the truck because regardless of what I did they just weren't looking like headlights; I think it still works.

I can't say that some of the cornering is the best - those stars were the last bits that I did and they really gave me a run for my money - but as Roberta likes to say, "Ah, those straight stretches!" By the time it was quilted and crinkled everything seemed to work.

It's bound with the same red as is in the truck. I'd toyed with using the brighter red on the left, but my original choice was better - it really works nicely with both the border and the backing.

Feeling a little empowered with my newly acquired machine applique skills, I've got my eye on trying this APQ Snowflakes runner (actually, it's a wall hanging but I'd make it a runner) - there doesn't appear to be a curve in sight! I thought that I might have it started by now, but Christmas happened. Ah well, something to add to the list for the new year....M

10 comments:

Kate said...

Your quilt is beautiful, Marie, a work of art! ^^
Merry Christmas!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great finish, just in time for Christmas 🎅🏼!

Quilting Babcia said...

There's nothing better than a bright and cozy,warm quilt for the Christmas holidays, and this quilt fits that bill perfectly. The snowflake design looks challenging but very appealing, next year for sure! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Julierose said...

Lovely finish--the wreath is such a nice touch...great job hugs, Julierose

audrey said...

So sweet! What a great finish to round out the year!:)

bettyb said...

Very sweet. Can't wait to see this piece in person. A perfect match for J&R.

Kyle said...

Love seeing all that lovely red, red truck, red and white snowflakes and those awesome red and white boots.

Sandy said...

What a treasure, Marie! Jula & Ryan are going to love it! Your fabrics are gorgeous … love the dotted background! Merry Christmas!

marina said...

Your Vintage Tree Farm throw is gorgeous! I think there is a tree throw in my future- perhaps for next christmas?
Have a wonderful Christmas!

Jane said...

Lovely quilt Marie! Are the trees pieced or appliqued?