Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Seeing Double

As luck would have it, this year my sewing for the Holly Bazaar has resulted in doubles of the same table topper - not once, not twice, but three times! It is just a function of how many orphan block or bits of fabric that I used but it helped add to the pile of goodies that I will take to the church on Friday for the craft table as I could make two at a time.











#QuiltBee: quilted table topper
This is the first pair that I finished. They aren't Christmassy at all but that's okay - the gals like to have a variety of themes to sell.














They are backed in a soft green print that I had just enough of. This green has been in my stash for a while now so it felt good to finally be able to use it up. I bound them in a blue that is different from the two blues used in the stars and like it.












Next up are a pair of long runners made with prints that I bought from Linda's stash in the spring. Again, I had just enough of the gorgeous main print for the centre panels and I was able to back and bind them with it as well.

I love the strip of fabric bricks that run randomly along each edge; it allowed me to incorporate several prints that coordinated with the main panel and they are just gorgeous.








As an FYI, Jane likes to call the red and white print in the bottom right the marijuana Christmas print 😏. I think she might be on to something.













They are quilted edge to edge which is what the pattern called for and I really like the look. The pattern was designed by Cindy Lammon and is from the The Big Book of Table Toppers (the same book that I got the Jo Morton Rhubarb Crisp pattern from); I'd make this one again.








They finish around 15" x 38". I don't know about you, but I find it very tough to get a good photo of long runners. This doesn't do them justice, but you get the idea.














#QuiltBee: quilted Christmas table topper
And last but not least, there are two of this square design. The floral is another piece that I got from Linda and had just enough to use it for the centres so I decided to make two and use it up as well. The print is gorgeous and initially it doesn't appear to be a Christmas print, but if you take a closer look you'll see holly nestled in between the flowers - I can't tell if they are peonies or roses.








The outer border on this one came from mom's stash and I have had it for a while also, so I was thrilled to be able to work it in. They are both backed and bound with that print as well.













The simplicity of the layout seemed to call for some interesting quilting - more interesting than the straight lines that I do - so Roberta kindly quilted them for me. She used a fabulous panto with jingle bells and ribbons and holly leaves and they are not only beautiful, but perfect. The Official Cookie Tester seems to think so as well - he's thinking that he'll buy one before they leave the house (he seems to do this every year 😊). It will be lovely to have that nice reminder of mom as well. Of course, now that I've seen that panto you just know that I have to make another Christmas quilt! Its a disease....M



2 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

It is a disease! Some might call it an addiction...

Lovely runners for your bazaar.

Kyle said...

Your runners will all make for a great sale. Hope they do well. I really like that panto too. I can see why a you'd have to make a Christmas quilt to go with the design.