Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Shopping Someone Else's Stash

What started out as a trip to find a backing for Danuta's Garden became an expanded shopping trip with Jane and Linda and I came home with a tidy little haul. They are keen to scale down their stashes and have hit upon a great idea.

Jane has been to the Hintonburg Fabric Flea Market over the years and found great deals on quilt fabrics, including beautiful vintage pieces. Last year she tried having a table of her own and moved out lots of pieces that she knew she would never use so she's keen to try it again and has convinced Linda to take a table, too. They have been busy bees of late, prepping packages of coordinated fat quarters to sell and let me have an advance viewing. Great timing, and great deals!


It turned out to be a good way to get me focused on my Holly Bazaar sewing (I know, it's months away, but I need to start planning now to avoid a last minute crush). These browns will become a table runner...












and so will these lovely Christmas prints.

















Not sure what to do with these plums, but I couldn't leave them there 😉; placemats perhaps...














and this delicate Christmas palette will become something for me. Not sure what yet, but something.














There was also this bundle of creams/browns with a bit of teal and red, and Jane threw in a surplus block from a quilt that she had made with this fabric line, so that will be the focus of a topper.













And this panel will become a runner. I found a great pattern idea in one of Linda's books so that's half the thinking done already.














And a few odds and sods that I couldn't resist. I think the turquoise print would make beautiful placemats, the soft mauve will work nicely in a border that I have planned for Halo, and the little blue and white check, well, it just had to come home with me. The yellow I have always coveted and I didn't waste any time cutting a few pieces of it for Halo.

Whew! My head was buzzing by the time I got home so the browns and first Christmas bundle were washed, pressed and are ready to go. If you are interested in going to the Fabric Flea Market check on the link above; its on Saturday, May 4 from 10 am - 3 pm at 1064 Wellington Street W in Ottawa - there's nothing like shopping someone else's stash!....M




2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you don't go crazy with the lower prices of fabric - I did that once years ago when some decided to really downsize her fabric and pieces I thought I wanted to use are still sitting on the shelf!

Kyle said...

A great haul. How come our friends seem to have better fabrics than we do