Saturday, October 13, 2018

If I Were a Carpenter...

Christmas Carpenter's Wheel/Moda Love: QuiltBee
I've been humming 'If I Were a Carpenter' lately and thinking of my dad, who was a very talented carpenter. It was time to branch out from my tried and true scrappy star table toppers and try something new for the Holly Bazaar craft table (sometimes I think that I've made so many star toppers that everyone in town has one!), so I landed on the Carpenter's Star pattern.










This pattern can be done in a variety of colour ways but this scrappy version was the inspiration that got me going. As I sewed I had this feeling that I'd seen this pattern before. Initially I thought that it was Swoon but eventually I figured it out - this is also known as the Moda Love pattern which Betty used to make Julia' beautiful duvet cover.










I found a pile of 6.5" squares of Christmas prints that I had cut last year from the same fabrics that I made the star table toppers from so I used them to make eight HSTs at at time. Soon it was time to start laying things out...













...and slowly it grew.
















Christmas Carpenter's Wheel/Moda Love: QuiltBee
I'm liking how it is coming together and already jumping ahead to thinking about how it might get quilted. The inspiration piece has a beautiful pebbled free motion pattern all around the star which looks gorgeous, but we all know that I'm not doing that (maybe some day, but not this close to the bazaar) so I will need to find some straight line quilting inspiration soon....M


4 comments:

Chantal said...

I love the carpenter's wheel block. Can't wait to see more of yours. ;^)

Pat said...

Your Carpenter’s Star colors and piecing sing as wonderful as that long time favorite song!!

Kyle said...

Wonderful colors and fabrics. It will be pretty.

Anonymous said...

Marie I just recently purchased a Goggle Home--I think you need one--so excellent for enjoying your favorite tunes etc. Nice pattern for Carpenter's star. Lindianna