Monday, February 23, 2015

Going Off The Grid

The quilting has begun on the little heart quilt. This one will be quilted on the machine because not much would ever get into the finished bin around here if I was to rely on the speed of my hand quilting.














I wasn't sure how to quilt this one (big surprise - it's the part of the process that I think challenges me most). For a while I thought it might just be randomly placed vertical rows of stitching but I ended up sewing along either side of the vertical seams.












Very tempted to leave it as it was, I let it sit overnight to see if I still agreed with myself in the morning. I liked the look of it but was concerned that there needed to be more to stabilize the batting between the rows of stitching, either vertically or horizontally. Either way, I didn't want it to be over quilted and stiff. So, I'll do double rows of stitching horizontally every three blocks - a modified/elongated grid. Quilting along all of the horizontal seams just seems like overkill.






It was also a day for trying out a new recipe. I pinned a Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake recipe that Julia had Pinned and made the day before so I thought it would be a nice treat for the Official Cookie Tester - he is the king of bananas. A nice sweet treat to end the weekend....M

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Your choice of quilting design and dessert look great.

audrey said...

Your grid does look nice with the top! Not everything needs a swirly quilting pattern.:)

Karen H said...

I like the quilting as is. If it were mine I wouldn't add the horizontal lines. It looks like a lovely cozy quilt!