Saturday, January 18, 2014

Soon It Will Be A Quilt

The rows of my Candied Hexagon quilt are slowly being put together and suddenly the weight of all the blocks make it feel like a quilt top and not just a pile of blocks.
















At times I questioned if I had done the right thing be inserting the extra triangular blocks rather than butting the hexies up against each other as in the Kim McLean's version, but when I see it draped over a chair I'm convinced that it was a good move.

There are 11 rows in total and I think I have 4 more left to go, so hopefully catching up on an episode or two of Downton Abbey and a little Sunday afternoon playoff football will help get me closer to the finish line. Then it will be figuring out the elongated inset triangles for the edge.



It would be together by now if I was sewing the rows together by machine, but where's the fun in that? It's not a race. When I start stitching a quilt by hand I like to have the whole thing done by hand, and vice versa.













This morning was absolutely beautiful here - sunny and just below zero degrees Celsius - so the Official Cookie Tester and I headed out to wear off some of our holiday baking on our snowshoes.













Betty and I have signed up for 8 weeks of evening snowshoeing so it was good to get out and practice before Monday rolls around. We had the place to ourselves and it was spectacular....M

7 comments:

Kindred Quilts said...

Your candied hexagon quilt is just lovely... beautiful fabrics! I think watching Downton Abbey and hand sewing is a wonderful combination!
What a gorgeous sunny day you had for practicing on your snow shoes... it looks like great fun!

Susan said...

Your hexagons are looking good. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing it by hand. Enjoy the snowshoeing.

Karen H said...

I love the setting triangles in your hexagon quilt. They allow each block to shine! I've drafted side setting triangles and they are easy. Let me know if you need help and I'll share with you what I did with mine!
Happy snowshoeing!

Monica said...

It looks beautiful, Marie! You will have a long day of sewing if you are watching both games today. The 49ers are my team, so send them a good wish or two if you are still watching by then!

Angie in SoCal said...

Marie, what a stunning quilt that's going to be. I admire your patience in doing it by hand. Thanks so much for the link to Kim's version. I invite you to link the Hexie Weekend - others would love to see it!

Nellie's Needles said...

Definitely "eye candy!"

Marit said...

So pretty!!!