Friday, February 15, 2013

Teenie Tiny Love

Believe it or not, I did do more than take pictures of everyone else's work when we were at the cottage.  I always have a hard time trying to figure out what to take with me, so I take too much, and this time was no exception. I thought I was all packed and ready to go and yet minutes before I got into the car I was running around the house like a madwoman tossing even more projects into bags. What's with that??!

I did some cutting for Betty and for Jane and then I took the plunge and started cutting strips for a new project. Yup, I've started making my version of the antique hexie diamond quilt that I showed you a little ways back.







The piece are tiny so I needed to figure out a consistent approach to sewing each block. I started by sewing one edge of each of the hexies that circle the centre hexie so you have a bit of a loose flower and then I sew the seams between each of them. That gets pressed and then it's not pressed again until everyone is attached.

I finished the first block at the cottage and have put 3 more together since then - it's great hand stitching when sitting in front of the TV. They are adorable - I'm totally smittne. This quilt will take me forever but I've decided that I can't focus on that - I love making the blocks so I'm choosing to think of it as one that will get better with age.









I wanted to stay true to the scale of the original so my hexagons are 1 inch finished - if you measure across the hexagon - so I'm cutting 1.5 inch strips and then cutting the hexies from that.
I've realized since drafting my template that hexies are usually measured by the length of the unfinished edge but I didn't know that at the time.










Each diamond has 25 hexagons in it and they measure about 9 inches in length and will be 5 inches across. Now I need to sew 4 diamonds together and then put another colour all the way round the larger diamond. Thank heaven for Jane and her stash - she let me cut several strips to add to my collection.

I still have no idea what this quilt is called so I need to come up with a name for it; any suggestions?






I also tried a new recipe for Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts from Sweet Paul. DE-LISH, and oh so easy. The crust is made frozen puff pastry; it seemed a waste not to use it all so I went for a more rustic look and didn't bother to trim the dough to fit the tart forms. They looked great and it's faster that way too.

The only other change I made to the recipe was to add the garlic just for a few minutes rather than carmelizing it for 10 with the onions to avoid it becoming burnt and bitter.






Serve it with a tossed salad and you have an easy, fabulous lunch. Give them a try....M








2 comments:

Karen said...

I always overpack too! You just never know what you will be in the mood for or how fast you will finish something. Beautiful diamonds, such pretty fabric and something else on my To-Do List.

Mary said...

Hi Marie, I always overpack too, and then I am so disappointed when I don't get as much accomplished as I intended. I hope to change my ways when I go this year, and only take along 3 projects instead of 23!

I leave your hexie quilt, but I am trying to figure out how you are making it, it seems that you are only sewing the inner seams together, and not sewing around the entire hexie at one time??? I am wondering if this is a new process that I want to do??