Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Need a Last Minute Stocking Stuffer?

After the larger items are finished for the Holly Bazaar I always like to try and make a few potholders and these are the batch I made for this year's bazaar. They are a fun way to use orphan blocks or to try your hand at a new block and play with different fabrics. A speedy little project, they sell well; I think that many people buy them for stocking stuffers.

First up was a pair made from some of the leaf blocks that I had played with a month earlier. 

When I found this green in my stash I did a little happy dance - it goes so nicely with the oranges and yellows and the fabric was a dream to work with.

They aren't identical, but then, which two leaves in nature are?

This basket block showed up in my Pinterest feed and has been one that I've been looking to try, so why not?

Making eight HSTs at a time gave me enough for a pair.

There wasn't much trimming to do, but I do like to have all the pieces trimmed to size as it makes for such a nice finish.

Really love the fabrics in this one.


Having had luck with the first set I tried a second combo. I think that my HSTs could have been a little stronger, but it's sweet none the less.

Simple quilting gets them ready for binding in short order.

All of these potholders were 7" square but another time I think I might go a bit larger. I know some feel that's moving into trivet territory, but I like good coverage when I use a potholder. There's still about a week to go before Santa arrives. Maybe you need to whip up a few to tuck into stockings that you are filling?....M




2 comments:

Linda said...

LOL Marie, I see you must be feeling better; got your mojo back. Lovely pot holders. Merry Christmas Girl! xo

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great idea for the potholders, I particularly love the colours in the past pic!