Thursday, September 07, 2023

The Struggle Was Real

I like to think of myself as someone who works well under pressure, but that didn't seem to be working much for me this past weekend. 

On deadline to produce a 12" block for the Carp Fair's Community Quilt Block Challenge, it was time to get started. I'd been looking at the fabrics every day for a few months but just not getting any inspiration. All of my choices relied on more background fabric than I have and it was proving tough to switch gears. The struggle was real.

But, it was time to make something - anything! - so I landed on a modified Bear Paw. I checked the math to ensure that I could make eight HSTs at a time and made a test just to confirm that my dimensions were correct. Good thing, as I was half an inch too large, so I scaled things back. With the fabric restrictions I just was so leery of making a wrong cut.

I laid everything out very carefully so that my seams would nest nicely all around the block (do I sound paranoid?) and in no time it was ready... 

though I have to say that there was a fair bit of lunch bag letdown when it was.

Despite a little voice in my head (one of several 😉) I used the bees for the large centre squares because I wanted to see the bees, but the dark batik that I used for the claws would have been better there. Should have following my gut. 

Or, I could have switched the placement of the gold dot and the darker of the two creams used in the coordinating HSTs. Not surprisingly, I spent all night dreaming of patterns that would have been better suited.

By the next morning it wasn't looking quite as bad as I had imagined, but still nothing to write home about. Ah well, hopefully it plays well with others. Ironically, I realized that last year I also made a Bear Paw block, but it was much scrappier. I much prefer a four patch in place of those large squares.

Betty's block is very different to mine and very charming: a beautiful little schoolhouse set in the centre of radiating strips, and it's hand pieced. It has a scrappiness that I just love and will be a wonderful addition to the quilt. 

This was her inspiration. You can see how she mapped out the making of her schoolhouse and ultimately, the block. I much prefer the small pieces in her block to the sizes that I used. Apparently her block was not without it's challenges either - she ripped things out a few times and pressed her seams as she went, something she never does when she hand pieces.
It's a real charmer, reminiscent of a farmhouse and the rural community that hosts and attends the fair. Jean was tickled with both of them so that's all that matters....M


4 comments:

Robin said...

I think your bear paw block looks great. I'm trying to use up my large stack of tans and light golds so seeing this block has me considering more options.
I'm glad you used the bee fabric in one of the larger pieces so it could be enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Creative use of the fabrics you were given! Love the bees! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

Great blocks Gals! I think the quilt will be so lovely when put together. WOuld love to join the challenge next year if there is a chance to.....Linda

Sandy said...

Those bees are just too stinkin’ cute! I love that you’ve “featured” them, Marie. And, well done, Betty! Beautiful block, with so much precision! Can’t wait to see what the finished quilt looks like.