Thursday, May 18, 2023

It's Pineapple Season

Since our sewing bee on Friday I've been going great guns trying to finish up my Pineapple Blossom blocks, and having tons of fun doing it. I love this block!

I've been using a Bonnie Hunter tutorial from 2005 (no one can accuse me of being on the bleeding edge of quilting trends!). She had originally designed it for a 9-inch block but then updated it for 2.5" strips so you can make a 12" block; this is what I chose.

All of those pinks and oranges together is really floating my boat - so bright and cheery, and scrappy, of course!

I chose to include a variety of low volume prints for the block centres and the 'geese' flying to the corners, and I like the extra bit of interest that provides.

Since Saturday was such a beautiful day here and my machine hadn't yet made it back downstairs, I took full advantage and set things up on the kitchen table with a great view of the yard. A few hours later they were all done.

The trimming from all of those sew and flip corners left me with 80 3.5" HSTs that have a funky little corner tossed in for good measure. 

Bonnie made pinwheels with hers; not sure what to do with mine yet, but they will be here when I do.

I was particularly tickled that this little rose was not consigned to the waste basket.

Tuesday things got a little tossed in the air with scheduling. As luck would have it, my machine was still upstairs. So I set it up again, tried a layout on the floor, and it was together before lunch time. Woo hoo!

I really like this one. It's been such a treat to sew.....M



8 comments:

Nancy said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I think the colors drew me to it, but the pattern is really interesting, too. I'm particularly pleased that you included a link to the pattern--thank you!--and that it can be made in two different sizes!

Anonymous said...

Nice way to use up your warm coloured scraps. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very pretty! I need to try that pattern. Happy stitching!

Anne said...

It is a lovely block. When I first saw it I thought it would be finicky but was amazed at how quickly you were able to whip up a block. And...a great combination of colours!

Kyle said...

Those colors are like a sunset or beautiful sunrise. It's a great block and I like those leftover pinwheels.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You are so productive! Love those Tole Christmas trees and isn't this piece with oranges and pinks pretty!

Sandy said...

Great colours, Marie! And, I love the pineapple pattern. I bought a pineapple template years ago, which has never seen the light of day. I should drag it out, and see how (if) it works. I think the site you’re shared … with photos … might be less taxing on my brain! LOL!

Redfinch said...

Love, love, love the colors of your Pineapple Blossom quilt! I'd like to make one with 2.5" strips too, but cannot find Bonnie Hunter's update for them. Your link went to her 2" strip version, and although I searched her website for "Pineapple Blossom", I can't find her blog post with the updated instructions. Any advice?
Thanks much,
Ruth in VA