Saturday, April 22, 2023

The End of the Procrastination Trail

Everything finally came together this week and I was able to get the borders onto Diamond Dust and drop it off for Roberta to quilt. Another one off the big chair!

This quilt has had its share of stops and starts. It took a while to land on the right border, but I'd been saving this mauve floral for just the right quilt and I finally found it. I really like the softness of the flowers contrasted with the precise little squares. 

And I'm still really loving those tiny little blocks; they finish off at half an inch. It was a great way to dig into my 1" strips, but by no means a quick way to use up your stash.

At the beginning of the year I thought that this was going to be a quick finish but then I got distracted by my Quilts for Survivors squirrels, like this star...


and Harlequin.

There's a third in the works too, which I haven't shown you yet. All of which is to say that Diamond Dust continued to sit and steep until I was ready for it.

When I finally pulled it out in earnest I toyed with adding a very narrow green border between the blocks and the floral border...

but at the end of the day it just didn't seem to need it.

The backing has been a story all its own. I was all set to use a pink gingham but obviously somewhere along the line I neglected to measure it (!) because there just wasn't going to be enough to get it done. Then the search was on for something else.

With online purchases it's always tough confirming that you have a good colour match, but eventually the backing gods shone on me and I found this lovely pink and white polka dot. The pink is almost mauve and is a lovely match to the floral....M



4 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love Diamond Dust, such a pretty pattern!

Rebecca Grace said...

I also love Diamond Dust! Perfect pattern for showcasing those sweet, romantic print fabrics!

karenbbsnow said...

Diamond Dust is so pretty, gorgeous choices for the border and backing.

Sandy said...

OMG, Marie! I’m so far behind on your blog … and, catching up is a little overwhelming. You have so many gorgeous projects on the go. However, I can’t not comment on 1/2” finished blocks! I’d be sewing my fingers together with such small pieces! LOL! They’re made with perfection!