Sunday, December 11, 2022

Hand Pieced and Gorgeous

In June, I shared my sister Betty's beautiful Farmer's Wife WIP with you. Well, you may want to take a seat because she's got it all together now and it is truly something to behold.














She took great joy in using up many small bits and pieces to make it work and the effect is spectacular -  to me it looks like it is woven when viewed from a distance. She's taken scrappy to an entirely new level.
Our friend Linda put it so well: 'You have been gifted with the unique talent of making quilts from fabrics that others wouldn't even consider and turning them into creations of beauty." 


There is just a little bit of everything in this quilt but she has curated the fabric choices beautifully. Oh, to have such a good eye for colour.

If you look closely, you will see that all of the cornerstones are randomly chosen to further blend the blocks with the sashing. It amazes me how quickly it came together because it is all hand pieced; she will hand quilt it, likely putting it up after the holidays.

Click on the images to see a larger version of them, if you like.
What I really like about it is her choice for the sashing. It's a muted floral and really supports the blocks rather than fighting with them, creating a soft impression that is hard to beat.

Hang onto your hat because this isn't the end of it. She loves working with this pattern so much that she's started another one, this time blues and whites, and already has a lovely bundle of blocks completed.....M




6 comments:

Sarah said...

I enlarged the photos so I could fully appreciate this piece of art! Great use of scraps.

Unknown said...

This is simply stupendous! And hand pieced?! So inspiring!

Rebecca Grace said...

How beautiful! I started making Farmer’s Wife blocks a few years ago but put them aside. I love how your sister has interpreted this quilt in so many lovely floral prints!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Betty has beautiful scraps and a great eye for colour. She did a wonderful job on her quilt.

CathieJ said...

Oh my, that quilt is beautiful. I don't have any trouble with the hand quilting, but I think hand piecing would absolutely make the arthritis in my hands be unbearable. I just can't hold the fabric. I am impressed that she is starting another one. I hope you share that in the future also.

Sandy said...

What a beauty, Betty! I can’t wait to see this one in person to truly appreciate all the fabrics and blocks. And, I love that it’s been done on point! Stunning!