Saturday, October 29, 2022

Winterberry

Last time I promised to share my recent finish for the quilt show. Despite the fact that it's called Wintersweet, I find myself calling it Winterberry. Either way, it's going to be a lovely holiday quilt.

If you read this blog regularly you will know that I shy away from making square quilts, but it was tough to do with this one, given how the design worked out. You can see how I added a few rows to each side and to the bottom to ensure that it was nice and roomy.

I've had a good sized piece of green for the backing that has been waiting for just the right project and this turned out to be it. There is a healthy amount still left so, if I play my cards right, I might be able to have enough for a second quilt. I always think of it as a Laundry Basket fabric, but it isn't. The large, organic print is a beautiful foil to the structured grid of the pattern.

Despite taking several different pics, the true colour of this green is hard to capture, but I do love it.

It works beautifully with the red plaid binding and shows off the Jingle Bells panto nicely too. As usual, Roberta's quilting is perfection.

Maybe I should put it on the bed early so that it helps inspire my Christmas gift planning?....M


8 comments:

Chantal said...

It is so gorgeous, soft, and peaceful even though it is quite simple. I love it. Congrats! ;^)

The Cozy Quilter said...

Beautiful holiday quilt. I love the scrappiness! The binding is perfect. Nice panto too,

Anonymous said...

Love it! If I had the patience, I’d make one too. Kudos!

Kyle said...

What a wonderful holiday quilt. The greens makes a single chain and the red stars are a perfect center. Great use of lots of great fabrics. Especially love the striped binding.

gladiquilts said...

LOVE this quilt - simple, but elegant. The binding is perfect and that green fabric is, indeed, perfect for the back. I don’t know exactly why, but it’s often hard to correctly capture the right green on photos.

bettyb said...

Precious!

Rebecca Grace said...

This is my favorite kind of Christmas quilt, white background with red and green! I love how your plaid binding turned out -- did you cut it on the bias? And the jingle bell quilting design looks fantastic. Congratulations on getting it finished well in advance of the holidays!

Rose Marie said...

Oh, so pretty and perfect for Xmas. I've downloaded the pattern.