Sunday, May 16, 2021

Within Arm's Reach

Last night I was too lazy to walk into the next room to find my Little Trees bag so that I could stitch as we watched TV so I plucked my little basket of Anna Leven's hexies from the magazine rack that sits beside my chair. I haven't touched this project for almost a year; interestingly, the top paper hexie seemed to have a 'welcome back' greeting for me.



Recently, I had cut more paper hexies and there were lots of fabric hexies already cut so I was able to happily stitched away.

With Candied Hexagons all wrapped up (I'll share pics later) it's time to work on this quilt again. 





Earlier in the week, around Mother's Day, I was reminiscing about mom and decided to pull out her Oatmeal Mincemeat Cookie recipe and bake a batch. It's been years since I've made them but I won't wait that long again. The Official Cookie Tester is a big mincemeat fan so I thought he'd enjoy them, and enjoy them he did. As it turns out, he got to sample two versions.


In the midst of whipping them up I was interrupted by phone calls and emails so when I got back to the mixing bowl I was a tad distracted. As I was dropping the dough onto the cookie sheets I felt that something was missing but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Note to self: Oatmeal Mincemeat Cookies contain oatmeal!



I mixed oatmeal into the dough and the next pan looked like they should. To be honest, both versions were very nice and received rave reviews from my Tester. The first pan tasted more like a spice cookie without the chew of the oatmeal; I'd make them that way again....M






3 comments:

Kyle said...

Looks like both projects, cookies and hexies, turned out well,

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Those hexies look so pretty. And yum, so sweet to make a cookie that reminds you of your Mom.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Halo is going to be gorgeous and I love these hexies too. I love everything you make, Marie. Inspiring to me always...even reading about your cookies made me want to make some oatmeal ones...have never used mincemeat before but what a great idea. Tony is a former Brit and loves it so this will have to go on my list to try.