Saturday, February 16, 2019

Snow Day

We had what the weatherman described as the biggest storm of the season this week with more than a foot of snow landing on top of what we already had in a 24-hour period and once again the snowbanks are so high that we have a hard time seeing the street from our house. There have been lots of  'snow days' for the children this winter - 'tis the season. What better time to share Betty's beautiful white quilt with you, affectionately known as the MOB (Mother of the Bride) quilt because she hand stitched it in the months before and after her daughter Julia's wedding.








She brought it to our girls weekend and the oohs and aaahs could not be restrained. It is the perfect marriage of colour and texture.














All of those little blocks of white-on-white, with the occasional bits of vintage embroidery tucked in here and there, meld together for a truly spectacular finish.













There are lots of spots for your eye to rest and admire the bit of colour and various bit of lace and embroidery. It leaves your mind to wander and imagine what part of a larger whole each of these strips or blocks were originally.












And in the corners she brilliantly incorporated four different pieces of lace. It is a work of art.















It is amazing how texture and subtle variances in white tones do all the talking in this quilt - no need to incorporate any other colours at all. Just lovely.....M


10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so much snow - I'm sure being from the north you are used to it but wish it would go away when it heads to the middle of February and still getting snow. I know I always did when I lived in the north - snow is pretty the first couple times but after that it would get tiring although I always loved looking at it snow through the windows it is just so pretty

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love this project so much--what a great way to use some old linens and other bits and bobs!

Turid said...

A fantastic project. I sure will study these pictures, as I have some old fabrics to use.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow what an interesting quilt! like you said the bits of colors draw you around the quilt as does the texture from the lace and doilies. I have never seen on like it.

Kyle said...

What a treasure of vintage linens. I an only imagine what it looks like in person.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Wow! What a special quilt. I"m glad you've got plenty to do indoors while it continues to snow outside. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A very special quilt! I love seeing old vintage linens being used like this, so nice to have them out of the cupboards.

Sandy said...

Wow, Betty! It was fun to watch you start the process on this one ... pulling all of those gorgeous pieces from your stash, and reminiscing on where they came from. I can hardly wait to see it in person ... all those textures ... absolutely stunning!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

This is the second quilt in a week that I've encountered that uses chunks of embroidery in the patchwork. That technique creates lovely results here and has me thinking about my own future projects. Thanks for the inspiration!

Arlene said...

I got a glimpse of this quilt, and the girls weekend...both very special. Marie, your talent with words certainly bodes well for this storied quilt.