Sunday, August 28, 2016

Shooting for the Stars

I've spent the last few evenings sitting in this armchair with my feet up sewing more strips together for Danuta's Garden. They are all together now so it's time to look at how the stars for the border will be laid out.













Actually, what I should have said is, 'all six of the block strips with the exception of the two sashing strips that go along the outer edges'.














I've been distracted by table toppers so it's been a while since this one was picked up, but it's always so relaxing to move away from the machine to my hand stitching.













I want a change from sewing long seams so I'm turning my attention to the star border. They are separated with a strip of plain sashing so I'm going to start sewing a sashing strip to each star block to make the final layout go a little faster, an idea I picked up from Jane.

It's hot and muggy today so working with smaller pieces will be a little cooler than having the entire quilt top on my lap as I stitch. If memory seves me correctly, there are 42 stars so that will keep me busy for a while....M

8 comments:

Deanna W said...

If you follow Bonnie Hunter at all..those stars fit right in with her hourglass leader and ender challenge. Love your nine patch quilt too...great border/sashing!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Such wonderful precise stitching! Bravo

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful work. A small project sounds much nicer than a large one in the heat. Hopefully cooler weather will get here soon. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Quilter Kathy said...

It is so relaxing to do hand stitching! And such a good idea to attach the sashing strip to each star block you make!

Kyle said...

What a wonderful handpieced quilt, even those long seams. It will be a special treasure. It's a good plan to work on those shorter pieces while the weather is so hot!

CathieJ said...

Your piecing is very pretty. I love that you are hand stitching it.

Anonymous said...

Hi little Rie---your garden quilt is really blooming, love it. Lindianna xo

em's scrapbag said...

I love all the scrappy goodness of this quilt!