Monday, October 28, 2013

Baskets Are Beckoning...

There is a basket quilt or two in my future - just not sure yet what style, or when. I love the traditional basket patterns for their graphic simplicity but the tiny little ones appeal to me so much, as do the more funky/strippy ones. I've started a board on Pinterest to collect ideas but have had a picture of this one pinned to the back of a chair in my sewing rooms for several months now and noticed how it has so many features that appeal to me, all in the same place.









It's a print from an old quilting calendar and is a great combination of structure and play. I think I need my eyes checked again, but, fuzzy as it is, this lets you see the whole thing.














Where do I begin? Love the funky little baskets, the pieced block backgrounds, the sashing blocks on point, the colours, the soft floral border, the hexies surrounding the centre panel of basket blocks, and then some fun appliqué around the edge. I'm thinking that the little border blocks on point would also be nice done in a 4-patch.







I don't know what the pattern name is but given the style I'm thinking that the designer is Japanese - it has a very Yoko Saito feel to it but somehow I don't think it's one of hers.













There are lots of little details to keep you interested and looking at it for a good long while. I'm not sure that I would do the fence but really do like the centre panel, and figuring how to incorporate a few interesting appliqué features could be fun.



And look at the quilting! OMG!!! So perfect, and so dense. Just love it....M

4 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

That is such a great inspiration quilt. You'll have a wonderful time making your version of it.

audrey said...

Yes! Make this! I would love to see your version.:) I have seen this picture too and drooled over it!

Kindred Quilts said...

Very cute details in this basket quilt design... love the softness of the background fabrics in contrast to the more defined fabrics making up the baskets! And how scrappy it is, but in a soft way! Oh, please make this one!!!

paulette said...

WOW!! What an amazing quilt!! I love any quilt with baskets on it!
P