Friday, May 31, 2013

Houston...

With all of the fresh rhubarb popping up all over the place I've been craving the  Lemon Rhubarb Buttermilk Bundt cake lately, so I decided to whip one up last night and had an interesting experience that had me thinking, 'Houston...we have a problem..."














I mixed everything up and as I was putting the last of the batter into the pan I did a double take - a corner of my rubber spatula was missing and I know it was there when I started! That upper left corner used to be square...eeek! My trusty Tupperware spatula was no more.












I took a table knife and ran it through the pan to see if I could find the culprit, but no luck, so I decided to bake it, spatula tip and all, and see if I could recover it from the final product. It reminded me of when we were kids and Auntie Ann would wrap nickels in wax paper and tuck them into the birthday cake, but not nearly as exciting.

As luck would have it, the piece had sunk to the bottom of the pan so when I inverted it onto the serving plate it was there in plain view.






A little strategic surgery before I glazed it and all was well again (this time I only made half the amount of glaze and it was still lots). We had a piece for lunch today and it is as good, or better, than I remember, so all's well that ends well.













It's been herky jerky with meetings and travelling lately so not much stitching is happening. There are a couple more hexies for Minnie that are now finished though...














love them both.

















And after my culinary adventures last night I put the finishing touches on this one, which has yet to be pressed....M

No comments: